Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Current status and future plans...

So the tank has had a mini-algae bloom and it has stabilized and subsided to a manageable level. I was behaving a bit over-zealously and adding Purple-Up every three or four days. I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but I've backed off because I probably don't need to add it this early in the tank's journey. The coralline is starting to take off though.

I almost added 3 more hermit crabs during the bloom but I waited and it appears that while the crabs I do have cannot keep all the rock algae free at all times, a balance has been struck and the red turf algae (for lack of a better term) is being kept in check. Upon closer inspection it is kind of cool looking in its own right and I wouldn't mind a small perpetual patch.

The next phase of the aquarium is to add several more corals/anemones. Most likely mushrooms and/or zooanthids (yellow polyps are one of my all-time favorites), probably mushrooms.  I say this because I don't plan on upgrading the lights just yet.

I want to see how the tank reacts to a water change with water made from tap.  More specifically, I want to see if I will need to run more phosphate sponge or if the tanks inhabitants are taking up nutrients at a sufficient pace to weather a little nutrient-rich tap-water. Anyway, during these "trials" it will be beneficial to keep the lighting consistent (and low); mushrooms are typically, depending on the particular type, more tolerant of low light and will thrive in water that is a bit more nutrient-rich than what some of the more finicky corals may prefer.

Finally, I"m wondering if I can resist the urge to add a Sponge Bob Aquarium Ornament. Ain't no shame in my game, I LOVE Sponge Bob. What else can you watch with your toddler whilst being sober and be thoroughly entertained?

No comments:

Post a Comment